In addition to its other research areas, the Minnesota Traffic Observatory explores the application of emerging technologies such as GPS, wireless communications, devices for portable data collection and classification, connected vehicle technologies, and wireless traffic sensors.
To meet the needs of transportation practitioners, planners, and researchers, a team from the University of Minnesota’s Department of Civil, Environmental, and Geo- Engineering and engineers at the Minnesota Traffic Observatory developed a portable traffic data collection system that is easily deployable, non-intrusive, and inexpensive. This system is designed for temporary data gathering and video recording of vehicle movements at intersections and along arterial roadways, and for remote surveillance of areas of interest.
- Implementation of a V2I Highway Safety System and Connected Vehicle Testbed (2014)
- A Positioning and Mapping Methodology Using Bluetooth and Smartphone Technologies to Support Situation Awareness and Wayfinding for the Visually Impaired (2014)
- Video Detection and Classification of Pedestrian Events at Roundabouts and Crosswalks (2013)
- Using Smartphone App to Help the Visually Impaired Navigate Work Zones Safely (2012)
- Implementation of High Accuracy Radar Detectors for Traffic Safety Countermeasure Evaluation (2012)
- Spatial Cognition of the Blind and Visually Impaired While Using a Mobile Accessible Pedestrian System (MAPS) at Signalized Intersections (2011)
- Smartphone-Based Travel Experience Sampling and Behavior Intervention among Young Adults (UbiActive Phase I) - FY11 TechPlan (2011)
- Accessible Traffic Signals for Blind and Visually Impaired Pedestrians (2009)
- Portable, Non-Intrusive Advance Warning Devices for Work Zones With or Without Flag Operators (2009)
- Transportable Low Cost Traffic Data Collection Device for Rapid Deployment for Intersections and Arterials (2007)
- Data Mining of Traffic Video Sequences (2007)
- New Battery-less Wireless Traffic Sensors as a Replacement for Loop Detectors (2006)
- Portable Traffic Video Processor (2005)
- Development of Portable Wireless Measurement and Observation Station (2002)